Subject: Re: Christa Ludwig and Vishnevskaya
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 2 Apr 2017 17:23:50 -0400

Well, since we're doing "Variations on a Russian performance
of Aida",  I'll throw in that I also saw Pavel Lisitsian in Aida at the
Met. It was in 1960, and it was not a success. Take a deep breath,
he was among the greatest singers of the last Century, and I found
nothing wrong with his singing, but Rudolf Bing and he waged a PR
war that rivalled, and may have been influenced by, the Cold War.
They sparred in the press for three days, mainly over production
values at the Met and the Bolshoi. And then Lisitsian left for a
couple of other American dates. He retired not too much later.

The argument boiled down to - The Met has small, cheap productions -
Really? Mr. Lisitsian has a voice two sizes too small for the Met.

Those who know his recordings are aware of the magnificence of
both his voice and his vocalism in opera and in lieder.  I consider
myself fortunate to have seen him, and count his one appearance
at the Met among my favorite memories.

Had Russia not had its Iron Curtain, there is no doubt in my mind
that he would have been among the most cekebrated baritones
of all time.

Bob