Subject: Fwd: The Next Anna Netrebko
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 2 Apr 2017 15:47:41 -0400

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sun, Apr 2, 2017 at 10:23 AM
Subject: Re: The Next Anna Netrebko
To: ekaterina usilova <[log in to unmask]>

She is lovely indeed to look at and, allowing for the ill-balanced sound of
'this video, might be an affecting Violetta had she an equally affecting
Germont
to contend with, but this is not the best way to judge her.

I think performers, producers, and audiences are equally misguided in their
current enthusiasm for highly emotional operatic scenes torn from proper
context, and delivered as concert items.  If the demand for operatic
excerpts must be accomadated, I think it is sometimes wiser to choose an
aria or
ensemble that is inherently a display piece; of which there are too many
examples to mention. Better yet, explore the neglected repertory of songs
in many languages that were written to be performed as concert pieces..

dtmk