Subject: Re: Christa Ludwig and Vishnevskaya
From: John Rahbeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 2 Apr 2017 11:18:06 -0400

Roles indeed do matter. I had exactly the opposite experience with Zajick.
A wonderful Amneris, but  woefully inadequate for Dalila. I believe she
gave the role up after a few tries, but before people start trashing Dunn, I
think it's admirable for a singer to test their boundaries, and Dunn was
indeed  a magnificent Dalila, and I'm glad to see someone point this out in
the context of a whole career. Too often people focus on one aspect or
performance and ignore the rest of what a singer has accomplished. Dalila was
originally written for a contralto, so the tessitura is rather low. For a  very
brief period, Olga Borodina was able to do vocal justice to both  Dalila
and Amneris, but her voice settled lower as she got  older.
John Rahbeck

In a message dated 4/2/2017 7:49:48 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,