Subject: Re: TO THIS WE'VE COME . . .
From: Dennis Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 1 Apr 2017 20:05:35 -0400

Hi, Y'all!
    I wonder, exactly, how Gelb plans to ENFORCE this  new "bathroom
policy" he has just announced.   Does he plan to  turn the House ushers into
bathroom police?  Surely, he knows that he  CANNOT enforce it, just as we all
know that he has no intention of doing  so.  He surely cannot want to risk an
in-house  open-to-the-public ruckus should someone loudly object to being
publicly  challenged by so-called "enforcers."
    So why, therefore, did he make this "proclamation"  at all?  The only
reason I can find as an even possible explanation is that  he wanted, quite
deliberately, for the House to come down publicly on the  conservative side
of a very controversial issue, without the House APPEARING to  dabble in
politics.  He wanted to demonstrate publicly that the  Metropolitan Opera is on
the political side of the "big money boys," in  hopes of raking in bigger
contributions.  After all, mutual wink-winking  between "old boys" is what has
kept the Metropolitan Opera afloat for over 100  years.  Gelb, apparently,
has the opera house he runs confused with North  Carolina, and this policy
will surely cost Gelb as dearly, both in  money and in credibility dollars,
as a similar prejudice has cost that  unfortunate state.  His edict is both
inappropriate and  self-defeating.
    Since Gelb seem to think so little of the LGTB  community that forms a
significant share of his ever-declining audience, perhaps  a gay pride
demonstration IN THE HOUSE, perhaps one that even actually disturbs  a
performance, might be just as appropriate as Gelb's original  announcement.   And Gelb
needs a good solid "touche" right in the  tush.
    Until there is an apology to the LGTB community and  an explanation
from Mr. Gelb, the Metropolitan Opera will get NO FURTHER MONEY  from me for
any reason whatsoever.
    Best,
    Dennis Ryan

In a message dated 4/1/2017 5:34:47 P.M. Central Daylight Time,