Subject: Christa Ludwig
From: Nina Gettler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 1 Apr 2017 13:16:24 -0700

I have no doubt that Christa Ludwig loved much of the music she sang.
But I heard her say many times that she resented having to subordinate
her life to singing and that, if she had it to do over again, she would
never choose a career as a singer.  Because she was extremely
disciplined, she went home and had a cup of tea when she would have
liked to go out with her friends. She invented an entire "whistling"
language to communicate with her son on days that she was singing
because she did not speak on those days. Her singing always came first.

Perhaps she was pushed into a singing career because both of her parents
were singers and this is not something that she chose for herself.

I'm certainly glad that she did have a singing career. If I had to give
up every single memory of a musical event that I have attended but one,
it would be the evening in 1978 or 1979 when she sang "Die Winterreise"
for the first time at the Musikverein in Vienna.

Nina Gettler
Graz, Austria