Subject: Re: Comforting Quotes
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 1 Apr 2017 12:12:01 -0400

Hogwash.

Performing is a JOB, and a damned hard one. Yes, of course, most performers are doing
what they love, and loving what they do (me included), but even so, it's not always 100%
bliss, by far. I do love my work, and do feel very lucky to be a performer and music
director and coach, etc. But I can't tell you how many moments in my life are also spent
reminding myself of that because I'm NOT loving the music I'm working on or the people
I'm working with, or I'm tired of the long rehearsal/teaching days, or I really don't feel like
having to go do the show that day after doing it for months and months, etc.

Ludwig's job is to make you believe that she loves what she is singing, and that she is
always connected emotionally 100% to the music, etc. Ludwig did her job extremely well.
And yes, of course, most performers will not go out on a limb to say that they dislike a
particular role, or composer, or colleague, etc, because they do want to make things seem
like it's all for the "art" - but I can guarantee you that no performer loves everything they
do. It''s just that we learn to keep the grumbling out of the public eye when possible. A
renowned singer certainly doesn't want to telegraph that the music she's singing says
nothing to her - logic dictates that an audience wouldn't put up with that attitude for very
long. You want the job, you want the fame, you sing the roles. And hopefully you like them,
but too bad if you don't.

The result one sees and hears is the "art." And yes, when a performer is truly connected to
what they're doing, and truly expressing from their soul, it's an amazing feeling. But the
skill - the training - the job - of a consummate performer is to create that experience for
the audience even when it's simply not true.

Sometimes we need to stop kvelling over the grand illusions we have for "Great Operatic
Artists" (or performers in any of the arts) and remember that sometimes it's really just
about the paycheck, and that part of the hard work performers do is to make it seem all
sunshine and roses. I'd surely like to think that Ludwig *did* enjoy much of what she sang
-but the idea that she made you think she did even if she didn't - THAT's the ultimate
artistry she had. ;-)

On Sat, 1 Apr 2017 12:41:31 +0000, tom ponti <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I find it hard to believe that a great Operatic Artist like Christa Ludwig would have spent
many years preparing for, and many more performing in an art form she had little regard
for. Her supposed quote is total nonsense and I do not believe she ever made such a
stupid statement.