Subject: Re: The Diva Departs: Renée Fleming’s Farewell to Opera
From: ANGELO MAMMANO <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 7 Apr 2017 19:57:42 -0400

I have always felt that Fleming has been the finest American soprano since the great

Eleanor Steber.  The Cosi I attended at the Met with her was perfect in so many ways.

At the end I wished that it had been recorded so that many others could enjoy it just

as the audience did that night.  There were so many performances that stick in my mind,

like the BSO Creation with Rene Pape and a very timid-looking Gregory Turay.  Fleming

and Pape were wonderful.  Then there was the BSO concert in which she sang Barber

and Gershwin.  Her Marschallin under Nelsons here last fall showed her in full command

of her extraordinary vocal abilities.  I am only sorry that she never (at least as yet) sang

either on stage or on recording, Vanessa.  She told me that she was thinking of doing that

in the future.  Hope springs eternal!

Angelo from Boston