Subject: Glimmerglass Gala Handel to Hip-Hop(4-5-17)
From: Alan Savada <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 7 Apr 2017 13:45:00 -0400

Wednesday night's Glimmerglass Gala entitled Handel to Hip-Hop held at the luxurious Metropolitan Club in Manhattan was a truly glittering affair with cocktails and wine flowing and a sumptuous dinner, but it is the 75 minute concert that I will discuss here as that was truly special.

MC'd by Francesca Zambello and Eric Owens,  we were first caressed by Emily Pogorelc with "Torna mi afogar" from Xerxes, one of the four works featured this summer. Porgy and Bess was represented with this year's leads Musa Ngqungwana and Talise Trevigne in "I Got Plenty of Nothin'" and "Bess, You Is  My Woman Now."
The entire concert was ably played by Alan Fiorello, the new director of Young artists at Glimmerglass.
Oklahoma had Vanessa Becerra, whom we were proud to sponsor last season and will star this summer in that show joined this time by Brian Vu in a beautiful rendition of "People Will Say We're In Love."
One of the more exciting moments was William Burden as Scalia in an amazing excerpt from Scalia/Ginsburg which will also be seen this summer.
When Jay Hunter Morris bounded to the stage and began "Nothung, Nothung" from Siegfried, I was sure Ms. Zambello was going to announce the Ring at Glimmerglass.  Wrong!
Sixth was Mr. Owens "Old Man River" followed by Paige Hernandez in a rendition from her Stomping Ground, a special presentation this summer that I fear we shall miss.
She was followed by Richard Pittsinger and the Sparklers with an adorable selection from last year's youth opera Wilde Tales called "Remarkable Rockets."
The evening ended with soprano Leah Crocetto joined by mezzo Kayliegh Decker in a duet from this summers "The Siege of Calais" by Donizetti, that melted everyone as we headed to dinner. Music Director Joseph Colaneri says this duet is on a par with "Mira O Norma" and I have to agree at least to a point....
I should note that during the dinner a number of these excellent artists auctioned themselves off to benefit Glimmerglass and we ended up with an exciting private concert by Ms. Crocetto!! Can't wait for it next year!

Alan Savada
Washington DC
via the Samsung Galaxy S® 6, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone