Subject: Re: The Diva Departs: Renée Fleming’s Farewell to Opera
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 7 Apr 2017 10:25:49 -0400

Bob Rideout wrote:

"Languid can sometimes be a good thing!"

And let's not forget that Fleming has a fantastic trill.  In fact, her vocal technique is well-
nigh perfect, as fine, and as complete, as that of any lyric soprano I've ever heard.  The
problems I sometimes have had with Fleming's singing have to do more with her style and
how she shapes phrases and the vocal line, not how she produces her sound - which sound
is just drop-dead gorgeous, one of the most beautiful ever.

I disagree with the poster who thinks that Fleming should have sung heavier Puccini and
Verdi roles.  She is a very smart and thoughtful singer (that is evident listening to just
about any interview she has given), and she obviously thought that those parts were not
right for her voice.  She knows better than we do about that.  And IMO she was right not to
sing Norma.

If this Rosenkavalier (which I am going to N.Y. to hear in a couple of weeks) is indeed the
end of her stage career in opera, I think we should all be saluting one of the great voices of
our time.  AND she is going out in what is probably her greatest role, while she still has the
vocal chops to do it justice.  Smart lady.

MDW