Re: The Diva Departs: Renée Fleming’s Farewell to Opera

Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>

Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 5 Apr 2017 23:20:47 -0500

text/plain

Renee Fleming seems to be following the same pattern as Leontyne Price. She's relinquishing the opera stage at exactly the same age as Price was. She can still certainly sing, and will undoubtedly continue to do so in recital and concert for some time to come. How much better than to wait for a vocal crises or even a blatantly evident vocal decline. I'd love to have her do recitals, where she would be free to adjust keys accordingly and have her mind liberated to enable her to explore new insights into lieder, melodies, and even American songs. The lady has class, beauty, and great dignity. There is no need for her to withdraw in a crash and burn fashion. She's doing it the right way. Marilyn Horne did it the right way. I wish I could say the same thing about Sutherland, and especially Montserrat Caballe, who was still trying to croak out notes as recently as 2014 at the age of eighty-one.