Subject: Re: I was not kidding you.
From: Kiwi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 31 Mar 2017 20:38:46 -0400

There was a fairly infamous version from Italy in which the two leads (Calaf
and Turandot) both rejoice over the killing of Liu and at the conclusion go
on a killing spree, with each killing their own father (or each other's
father, I forget which) as their union begat a long and bloody reign.

Not anything like what Puccini wanted and as demented as it comes, though no
more demented that this particular version.

In London a few years ago, Calaf put a knife to his own neck and would have
killed himself rather than allow Turandot that option.  That gave him
self-agency.

I also read some insane notion that Freud is the force behind Puccini's
attempt but I see no evidence of that, unless is it coincidental.

Zurich turned it into a comedy which I didn't think worked particularly well
but no in retrospect, with all the inhumanity and blood splattering that
these directors are offering I think I'll revisit the comedy.

But this one, in which Turandot betrays Calaf and Puccini is just wrong on
so many different levels.  If this person, whoever he is, wanted to write
his own Turandot, let him;  if he's not up to the task, don't distort and
destroy what Puccini was trying to give us:  the triumph of love over fear.