Subject: Re: I was not kidding you.
From: Kiwi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 31 Mar 2017 16:57:32 -0400

Why does murdering a man who offers love to another human being who doesn't
understand life become a feminist manifesto?

I find this a fairly unfortunate depiction.  First, it flies in the face of
what Puccini adamantly wanted--a happy ending.

Second, this retelling perpetuates the myth that all a woman really wants is
to emasculate a man and, failing then, murder is a reasonable option.

If you want a truly feminist ending--that again goes against Puccini's
wishes (and the historical story) then Turandot would have given the name
Calaf (perhaps) and simply told him that since he won, her reign of terror
was ended but that she would not marry him.  He was free to go with her
thanks and a hefty reward for solving the puzzle.

Again, I find it offensive to connect real feminist with the need to murder
a man.  Only in a certain segment of the male rights movement would this be
promulgated as realistic take on feminism.

And the fact the audience applauded?  I think that says more about how our
basic decency and morality has erode over the last few decades (duck
everyone, because here it comes) and as most recently evidenced in the
recent US elections.