Subject: Re: Comforting Quotes
From: Genevieve Castle Room <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 31 Mar 2017 00:33:45 -0400

 WIlliam Kasimer wrote:

 >"It's called 'trolling'. And the only cure for a troll is....silence."

I just wanted to know how many individuals on the list had mixed feelings
about opera as an art form and I selected 5 quotes which mostly represent
my views.

Btw... several weeks ago Christa Ludwig said: "I seldom go to the opera. In
principle opera does not particularly interest me. I don't truly see opera
as artwork [....] All those Italian operas of Rossini, Donizetti, and
[most] Verdi: is that truly art?"

I have my own answers to questions like these:

1) How many operas are suffused with beauty of a deeply individual kind?

2) How many operas are a product of inspiration of an exquisite and
scrupulous intelligence?

3) How many operas enlarge the expressional boundaries of the art in a
degree which is not easily to be defined?