Subject: Re: The new GOD of opera
From: DK Conn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 29 Mar 2017 21:59:42 -0400

Personally I find Camarena's voice to be quite distinctive and immediately identifiable,
but I find that it (like Vogt's, which is an entirely different sort of voice) is not a voice
that translates well to broadcasts.  You do not get the full effect of his voice unless you
hear him live.
This is one reason why I think that evaluations of or comparisons made to singers who
are heard only on recordings/broadcasts should be taken with a grain of salt.

On Wed, 29 Mar 2017 19:56:07 -0400, Steve B. <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>Mr Camareno is clearly a fine singer with a remarkable technique and surely
>a great addition to the present tenor roster. I can well imagine how the
>audiences love him when he throws into well worn phrases something
>innovative and exciting. What worries me is this kind of enthusiastic
>appellation as an opera 'God'. I have listened and enjoyed his singing from
>extracts on Youtube and would doubtless warm my hands with enthusiastic
>clapping in whatever house he was singing but, and it is an important 'but'
>I do not hear a very distinctive voice. It is bright, clear and used
>artistically and with a splendid top but I hear no specific 'face' of the
>kind you get with tenors like Brownlee or Gedda or Di Stefano. All being
>well he has an assured future but let's not get too carried away please. In
>time (I hope) he will learn to to stamp some personal touch to a phrase here
>and there or find some colour to touch the heart. Until then et him be
>welcome and applauded for what he has so far offered without dragging in
>superlatives such as this.
>Best wishes always.
>Steve B.

Modify your settings: