Subject: Re: The new GOD of opera
From: "Steve B." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 29 Mar 2017 19:56:07 -0400

Mr Camareno is clearly a fine singer with a remarkable technique and surely
a great addition to the present tenor roster. I can well imagine how the
audiences love him when he throws into well worn phrases something
innovative and exciting. What worries me is this kind of enthusiastic
appellation as an opera 'God'. I have listened and enjoyed his singing from
extracts on Youtube and would doubtless warm my hands with enthusiastic
clapping in whatever house he was singing but, and it is an important 'but'
I do not hear a very distinctive voice. It is bright, clear and used
artistically and with a splendid top but I hear no specific 'face' of the
kind you get with tenors like Brownlee or Gedda or Di Stefano. All being
well he has an assured future but let's not get too carried away please. In
time (I hope) he will learn to to stamp some personal touch to a phrase here
and there or find some colour to touch the heart. Until then et him be
welcome and applauded for what he has so far offered without dragging in
superlatives such as this.
Best wishes always.
Steve B.