Subject: Regarding Opera-L
From: "Steve B." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 23 Mar 2017 16:28:31 -0400

I live across the pond. I occasionally contribute if I have something
useful to say and I enjoy reading much of what is said. I admit I baulk at
the rather closed attitudes that appear suggesting that (for example) if a
singer hasnít appeared at the Met then he/she is not worthy of discussion.
My access to Met productions is limited to audio or DVD, There are some very
knowledgeable posters here who are a delight to read and who add to my
knowledge. I am now 75 and my love of opera began around the age of 7 or 8
so I am not ignorant by any means.
  The reason I am posting is this is because I have a problem. You are
called ĎOpera-Lí. Posts appear that have little or no reference to opera.
When I mention that I am told ĎIf you are not interested then you donít have
to read the post.í That is no answer at all. With respect I have seen
recently posts on Judy Garland, Chuck Berry, your presidential elections, in
fact anything that seems to come to mind. No I donít have to read it but
this is Opera-L. If I go into a Fish restaurant and order red snapper and
get served Beef with the comment that if I donít like it I donít have to eat
it then I am not happy. Itís not a complete analogy of course but it will
serve its purpose. Either itís an opera chat site or it isnít. I value it
greatly as that but I am puzzled as to why there seems to be no moderation
at work. Why is it so?
Steve B. England.