Subject: that trill in Dove sono
From: "Takis Pavl." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 22 Mar 2017 22:42:19 +0000

I've always found that final trill on "ingrato" a bit weird. I feel it stops the flow of the aria and causes a lot of trouble to most sopranos who otherwise excel (or not) in Nozze di Figaro and this particular aria.
Sampling various sopranos on youtube, I found that most gargle it, others start it but it sort of collapses half way through (in live performances mostly), many sing it but slow down or stop the flow of the aria, some skip it and some sing the trill well but disappoint in the rest of the aria. It was interesting to find that some of the most famous Contessas don't actually sing that thrill very well. Te Kanawa, Fleming, Janowitz, Schwarzkopf to name a few, sing a messy trill in the clips I watched. Who do you think managed it well?
A recent one who immediately caught my attention on youtube with her gorgeous, grand phrasing was Barbara Frittoli. She wobbles a bit on the top but on the positive side, she employs some beautiful discreet ornaments at the end. Her trill isn't a great one either though.
Takis