Subject: Tebaldi
From: Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 22 Mar 2017 01:39:38 -0400

This is my last "jump into the boiling oil" on the subject of the legendary
Tebaldi.  I was weaned on her growing up in the 1950s and my dad had a
lot of her recordings, along with those of Callas.  I became used to their
voices pretty early on.  I loved both of the voices, as well as Milanov's, who
was another family favorite.
    As I got older and kept studying music, I realized that all three of them
had certain "imperfections" that made them human.  Leaving Callas and
Milanov off to the side, I'm the first to acknowledge that Tebaldi had a
gorgeous vocal endowment that was destined to recede in the extreme
uppermost notes.  But the rest of the voice remained pretty much the
same lush sounding soprano.  The going started getting rough in the early
1960s, but then there were still some fabulous moments and performances.
Her 1966 Chenier Met broadcast with Corelli was mind blowing, and her
1968 commercial recording of La Wally found her in outstanding Indian
Summer condition, with a robust and amazingly full lower chest register.
    To me, the most opulent and exquisite Tebaldi performance is on the
1953 live "Forza" under Mitropoulos.  I never heard her sound as fabulous
as she does on this performance.  I've yet to hear her singing on this
particular recording surpassed by anyone else who has undertaken this role.
On the basis of this recording alone, she deserves a place in the annals of
great operatic singing.