Subject: Re: The Next Anna Netrebko
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 28 Mar 2017 16:54:31 -0400

Except that in this context it's NOT being used that way. This is not about an artist with
equal celebrity or notoriety (meaning nothing against the singer in question).

It would have been enough (and much fairer) to say "here's a young singer we might want
to keep on our radar. It's quite something else to push the responsibility on her for being
the "next Netrebko," even if she does have the same potential for diva-dom. Does every
young singer need to be crowned the "next [revered singer of the moment or the past]," or
can't we just enjoy them on their own individual merits?

And I really don't care if the phrase has been "used that way for decades, if not centuries."
I don't think that makes it right, nor necessarily applicable.