Subject: Re: Tebaldi
From: walter guitian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 22 Mar 2017 19:05:34 +0000

Honestly I do not know what it is, in such a exceptional singer, to speak of "one miracle year".
In the years of her vocal peak Tebaldi was exceptional , apart from the quality and richness of her voice, (she had the richest soprano voice from the second half of the XX century) , because she was very ductile, she modulated on top perfectly, in italian is called "smorzare", and because Tebaldi has "the nobility".
 And the years of her vocal were from 1946 to 1957-58, everything she sang in those years, the voice was the same.She is practically unsurpassed by other great sopranos  in the Toscanini 1950 "Messa di Requiem", the 1951 De Sabata "Messa di Requiem", in the 1950 San Francisco radio concerts, in the 1952 Decca Erede "Aída" , the 1953 Naples "Aída" with Ginno Penno,  the 1954 Scala "Otello" , her 1955 Covent Garden "Tosca" and 1956 New York "Tosca" , etc and all her "lives" and her  Decca recordings ranging from 1949 to 1958.
About "La Forza del destino", the 1953 Florence Mitropoulos performance is impressive of course,  but I cannot say which of her Forzas is the best, because she is ni top form in all her Forzas from 1953 to 1958. The difference in the Mitropoulos performance is the  vigorous conducting of Mitropoulos that makes her sing a bit differently. In my opinion the highest point of the performance is the "Pace mio Dio" ,  but if I have to choose  my two personal favorite Leonoras are : the 1955 Scala  with Votto  and the 1958 Naples video.
Nobility is a characteristic and means to be sincere but also aristocratic and simple but great class (because an aristocratic artist is simple, while a pretentious artist is a person who has an inferiority complex and wants  to cover that by drawing attention). The artists  who have the "nobility" have a more contained emotion , as is the  aristocratic people , and their singing is not so exteriorArtists who have the "nobility" are for example : Tebaldi, Simionato, Siepi, Crespin, Bergonzi , Kraus, Berganza, Bruson,  also Ricciarelli
Then there are the pretentious artists: in this cathegory will be Callas, Scotto, perhaps Olivero a bit but Scotto is the example of pretentious artist,  who sings like a calligraphic teacher but liar with the emotion.Then there are the rustic or vulgar artists: in the category : examples of this: Giuseppe Di Stefano, Mario Del Monaco, Antonietta Stella, Clara Petrella  etc ,(an idea of the art of singing, similar to that of a singer in a tavern or a neighborhood club)
W.G.