Subject: Re: OPERA-L Digest - 27 Mar 2017 to 28 Mar 2017 - Special issue (#2017-317)
From: David Shengold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 28 Mar 2017 16:23:30 +0000

She was the Chicago Isolde when Jon Vickers sang (his only?) Tristan in A=
merica.=20

Frank Cadenhead

 Um, Frank?
Are you so convinced of the emptiness of American culture ( now that you have decamped) that you can't be bothered to spend the 3 minutes needed to ascertain that Vickers also sang Tristan at the Met ( as Bob mentioned), in Dallas, in Toronto, and in Buenos Aires? The Dallas and COC performances were with Ms. Knie and were in fact mentioned in that obituary, and Dallas's audiences occasioned Tristan's immortal ad-lib, "Stop your damned coughing!"

Ms. Knie had a nice 'coda" to her performing career when she did Kundry for a 2005 Philadelphia Orchestra concert of PARSIFAL, Act III with John Keyes, Andreas Schmidt and Matthias Hoelle under Eschenbach. She only had the one "Dienen... dienen" to sing but she was riveting. Very grateful to have seen that, my only live experience with her artistry. I had the unexpected luck of being fellow guests with her at the same brunch around 2000: her commentary on the then-current opera world was amusingly salty but insightful.

Best to her memory - David