Subject: Re: SYNTHETIC MOZART - IDOMENEO FROM THE MET OPERA
From: Ron Magnuson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 26 Mar 2017 15:33:44 -0400

> On Mar 25, 2017, at 9:55 PM, James Camner <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>  Notable tenor Idamantes have included Pavarotti
> and even better, Leopold Simoneau who remains unsurpassed in the role on
> records.
>
> In any case from that video posted in the New York Times review of
> Idomeneo, Polenzani was unable to manage Fuor Del Mar - how did he do
> today?

I thought that Polenzani pulled it off rather well.  He certainly was more impressive than Pavarotti, who sang the watered down version.
The extremely bright voice of Nadine Sierra is not to my liking but I thought that she was fine as young Ilia.
Elza van Heever was demented as an unhinged Elettra opposite Alice Coote’s restrained Adamante.
James Levine gave it his all but he struggled mightily.
If this is bad Mozart, It take it any day.

Ron Magnuson