Subject: Seattle Opera's "The Combat" opens April 1
From: Jason Victor Serinus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 26 Mar 2017 09:47:27 -0700

Giving lie to the notion that opera has lost its relevance, Seattle Opera
is unveiling its second immersive theatrical experience, “The Combat,” a
production with a distinctly contemporary message.

An English-language Baroque pastiche, “The Combat” uses works by Claudio
Monteverdi, among others, to explore a relationship between a Christian man
and a Muslim woman.
And here's a bonus which includes choral music by Rachmaninov

There is nothing “usual” about the programming for this week’s
all-Rachmaninov concerts by Seattle Symphony. Not only will principal guest
conductor Thomas Dausgaard explore the musical soil from which
Rachmaninov’s musical imagination sprang in a most unconventional manner —
the vocal group Cappella Romana will introduce both Rachmaninov’s Piano
Concerto No. 1 and Symphony No. 2 with Russian orthodox hymns — but he will
also welcome pianist Alexander Melnikov
perform the original version of the concerto’s first movement coda.
Jason Victor Serinus     Whistler
Extraordinaire: **The Voice of Woodstock • The Pavarotti of Pucker**
Music and audiophile critic: Seattle Times, Port Townsend Leader,
Stereophile, Listen, San Francisco Classical Voice, Bay Area Reporter, Gay
City News, American Record Guide, Classical Voice North America, Stanford
Live, Opera Now, Copper, and more

"Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the
tormentor, never the tormented.” — Elie Wiesel

“This is a time to remember all of us who are LGBTQ. It’s a time to stand
out and be proud, to parade who we are, to celebrate and to let them know
we will not be silenced, we will not be stopped, we will not go back into
the closet. Together, we will love.” — JVS at our Orlando Massacre Support
Rally in Port Townsend, WA

Modify your settings: