Subject: Re: SYNTHETIC MOZART - IDOMENEO FROM THE MET OPERA
From: Tom Wikman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 26 Mar 2017 01:39:24 +0000

Mozart had no choice in the matter when it came to Idamantein Munich. Vincenzo del Prato, a castrato, came with the job.
Mozart complained about him both as a singer and a musician.When Mozart produced Idomeneo in Vienna, he re-wrote the partfor a tenor. Among the changes to the part was substituting a newduet for Ilia and Idamante in Act III. The new duet, "Spiegarti nonposs'io," is one of the glories of the Mozart operatic canon. The duetit replaces is one of the weaker numbers in the Munich version. Atleast the Met performed the Munich duet today; in years past they'vedone the Vienna duet, just because it contains such glorious music.It sounds ridiculous sung by a soprano and mezzo, however. All theintervals between the voices are reversed, with Idamante often
sounding above Illia, i.e. making sixths into thirds, etc. It makeshash of the piece.
I conducted the United States premiere of the Neue Mozart-Ausgabeedition. The editor, Daniel Heartz, came out from California to delivera couple lectures on the opera. Practically the first words out of hismouth when I met him were, "I do hope you're using a tenor Idamante!'I assured him that I was, and he said, "thank God!" His years with thepiece had convinced him that the re-write was Mozart's wish.
Tom in Chicago