Subject: Re: SYNTHETIC MOZART - IDOMENEO FROM THE MET OPERA
From: Kenneth Bleeth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 25 Mar 2017 20:16:56 -0400

According to Mr. Camner, Polenzani "probably should have been cast as
Idamante."

But doing so would have meant using the 1786 Vienna version, in which the
castrato role of Idamante was revised for tenor, and which entailed (inter
alia) rewriting the ensembles. In all modern productions I'm aware of, the
part is sung by a mezzo.

Here's one intelligent opinion on the matter:

A tenor Idamante makes little musical sense. .If Idamante is a tenor, then
three principal characters are tenors, including Idomeneo and Arbace. A
mezzo Idamante balances the distribution of vocal coloration and makes for
a far better match with his beloved Ilia, a soprano.