Subject: Re: Whatever Happened to....
From: Sue Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 25 Mar 2017 02:28:51 +0000

Dallas audiences have enjoyed James Valenti's appearances in La Boheme in 2009. He won that year's audience favorite debut artist award for Rodolfo. He had already won The Met Auditions and The Tucker Competition.

Stagecraft? Well, his Rodolfo moved well with his ensemble and was all over Mimi, as the Cajuns say, "like white on rice," a welcome change of pace from tenors like Bryan Hymel whose Rodolfo won't look his Mimi in the eye, much less pretend to be in love with her for two interminable hours.
He sang with Alexandra de Shorties in a special appreciation concert for Dallas Opera subscribers. He sounded good for a guy *that* handsome, though de Shorties stole the concert with 2 powerful excerpts from her upcoming debut as "Medea."

In 2011 Valenti's Duke of Mantua seemed to be in a parallel universe from the highly acclaimed Rigoletto of Paolo Gavanelli and Laura Claycomb's exquisite Gilda. Valenti's performances was at least 2 sizes too small to match his colleagues, dampening an otherwise world class performance.

Enough performances in that league could be the death of an A list career even for a man with a lovely voice and star quality good looks. We wish him well.
Sue HarrisonDallas