Subject: Re: that trill in Dove sono
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 24 Mar 2017 18:59:04 -0400

Technical trouble aside, how does a routine decoration on a note stop the flow of the aria?
Especially when it's not a part of an out-of-time cadenza, nor in any other way changes the
beat or tempo?

That trill is, to my ears, part of a very common cadential progression in Mozart and in
other music of his time. In fact, as a pianist, it tends to make me instantly think of a very
similar moment in that most (in)famous of his C major piano sonatas (i.e. the one
everyone knows instantly by its first few bars, and one of those pieces that certainly every
young piano student is assigned early on.)

Hear the phrase leading to the trill and cadence around the 0:45 mark and (for the trill on
the same notes as in the aria) the 2;45 mark, as beautifully rendered by Daniel
Barenboim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vDxlnJVvW8

Oh - I do sincerely apologize for suggesting that classical piano music (clearly off-topic)
should ever be discussed on an opera listserv such as this one. How dare I even think such
a thing. I'll never do it again...until the next time. ;-)

On Wed, 22 Mar 2017 22:42:19 +0000, Takis Pavl. <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I've always found that final trill on "ingrato" a bit weird. I feel it stops the flow of the aria
and causes a lot of trouble to most sopranos who otherwise excel (or not) in Nozze di
Figaro and this particular aria.