Subject: Re: Steber's notable strengths as a Mozartian
From: Donald Levine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 24 Mar 2017 09:09:29 -0700

Eleanor Steber, undoubtedly one of the greatest singers of the 20th century
and one of America's greatest, up there with Ponselle, Nordica, Traubel,
Warren, Merrill, Tucker, Tibbett, Price, Farrell and a few others, studied
at the New England Conservatory with William Whitney.  It is probably
Whitney who was most responsible for her prodigious vocal skills.  Of
course, when she arrived in New York she honed her art with Paul Althouse
(another vastly influential pegagogue and of course a fine singer) and
Eleanor McLellan, or Miss Mac as she was know to her pupils and
associates.  Other singers who studied with Miss Mac were Eileen Farrell,
Jan Peerce and my own voice teacher, Jack  Harrold.  But, as Roberta has
already said, there were things about Steber's musical makeup that cannot
be taught - they are just there.  As Milanov used to say about her type of
pianissimo, you couldn't teach it - its there or it isn't.

Donald