Subject: Re: Regarding Opera-L!
From: Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 23 Mar 2017 23:44:47 -0500

I'm in the Donald/Bob Rideout/Hans/Idia corner. I've been following Opera L for about a decade and I find the subject matter centers around opera ------- 97% of the time.  Our friends across the pond, as well as we ourselves as a country, have just "survived" two rather significant events.  Our British friends are still dealing with the ramifications of Brexit, while we have been healing from the most filthy and down-in-the dirt political campaign in over a century.  We all love opera, but on rare occasions we get "swamped" by some world shaking events like everyone else.
    Opera remains our "raison d'etre", but we are all human, and sometimes we allow our "knee-jerk" reactions to get the best of us.  We are human.
    I do not feel that an iconic star like Judy Garland "desecrates" Opera L.  Her talent was great enough to make her as legendary as Flagstad, Caruso, Callas, or any of the opera Gods.
I could name a few other show biz icons but I don't need to bedevil the point. Most of us have come to know each other well enough to feel comfortable with each other.  As Idia says, "we're a dysfunctional family" but we all love opera.