Subject: Re: Regarding Opera-L!
From: Olga Bourlin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 23 Mar 2017 17:30:34 -0700

Opera, after all, is all about the music and the plots - and those plots
are about human life in all its aspects - mythology, fables, history,
politics, social mores, etc. For example, "The Marriage of Figaro,"
(inspired by Beaumarchais’ play) characterized the French aristocracy as
base (certainly a revolutionary idea before the French Revolution), how
classism played into the relationships between men and women of different
social backgrounds, and the audacity of the servant Figaro, who thought he
was as good as his master.