Subject: Puritani in Modena
From: Angelo Mammano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 22 Mar 2017 11:56:24 -0400

I don't know how many others knew about this live streamed Puritani from
the Teatro Comunale Luciano Pavarotti di Modena yesterday but it was a
great afternoon of live opera for me.  The picture and sound were perfect
unlike what I experienced from Munich at the Chenier last Saturday.  The
production was traditional with great wigs for the men and elaborate
costumes for everyone.  The orchestra under Jordi Bernacer was lacking in
size but the playing was very good and Bernacer was alert to the needs of
the singers, something I don't see very often from the Met conductors, in
particular M. Luisotti recently.

Irina Lungu was the Elvira, my first time hearing her and she is very very
good.  She has a strong voice, not a coloratura per se and negotiated the
intricacies of the role with ease.  Keon Woo Kim was Arturo.  He was a
pleasure to watch, singing with good phrasing and taking the acuti with no
sense of strain.  He did sing the high F in the last act and it was strong, not
a little falsetto. I was impressed with the Giorgio, Luca Tittoto, and enjoyed
singing along with him in my croaky bass-baritone.  The Riccardo, Fabian
Veloz, was the only cast member that I felt wasn't quite on the same high
level as the other leads. All in all, a great pleasure for me.

Angelo from Boston