Re: SYNTHETIC MOZART - IDOMENEO FROM THE MET OPERA

william kasimer <[log in to unmask]>

william kasimer <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 28 Mar 2017 22:56:03 -0400

text/plain

On Sat, 25 Mar 2017 18:55:10 -0700, James Camner <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>There is one and only one recording which does full justice to the florid
>demands of the aria:
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEcRrb_GOeg
>
>This is the kind of singing that works like Idomeneo require, these are
>opera serias and they were first and foremost about virtuosity in singing.
>
>No one on that stage today could come close to this kind of mastery of
>coloratura, or if they could, they certainly didn't show it in the parts I
>heard.

Jadlowker's version is indeed impressive - he was a remarkable singer from a technical
point of view - if you don't mind that it's in the wrong language, severely cut, and sung
with an unattractive, virtually vibratoless tone.

I listen to Jadlowker's often, because his handling of the florid music really is unique - but
with little pleasure. I'd rather hear it in the right language, complete, and with a lot more
juice to the tone, such as ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmD4PdXb1FQ

And back in 1991, Ben Heppner may not have been as facile with the fioratura as
Jadlowker, but surely *that* was the right voice for the part. That broadcast is kicking
around, and is worth seeking out.