Subject: Re: My Meeting Martinelli (formerly, Giovanni Martinelli in "William Tell")
From: RAYMOND GOUIN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 20 Mar 2017 12:26:36 -0400

I met Martinelli in the 1960s, a few years before his death.  He was in the portrait gallery in the lower level of the Met, standing in front of his portrait, waiting to be recognized (something that Francis Robinson told me was usual for him).  He was accompanied by an individual that he introduced me to as his "pupil"   (also, as noted by Robinson, always female and always very young).

When Martinelli died, I was in Boston doing most of my radio work out of WBUR (Boston University)  I had, for several years been producing opera biographies (similar to Robinson's bios during the Met intermissions except that my programs were at least an hour long and featured complete selections).  I had so much material on Martinelli that I did a two hour program on him (it helped that WBUR allowed me to use air checks while WHRB, Harvard's station, would not). Somehow, a complete copy of my program reached Martinelli's widow in Italy and, several months after his death, I received a thank you note from her indicating her appreciation for my effort which she said she cherished and would continuously replay).   Fond memories.

Best.

Ray

***