Subject: Giovanni Martinelli in "William Tell"
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 20 Mar 2017 09:49:54 -0400

Les, and list

Vesna and I praised the several recordings by Martinelli and
Marcel Journet yesterday. "Ah, Matilde", as Vesna said, is one
for the Ages. Martinelli has no trouble whatsoever with the
tessitura. His assurance at the top of the range is astounding
both in the music with Journet and in his solo "O muto asil".
It is in italian!

They are on Youtube and if you will simply key "Martinelli
William Tell", they will come up immediately

You may not like Martinelli's voice (many people don't) but his
vocalism is extraordinary, and his top register in his prime was as
solid and, in fact, thrilling as you will ever hear.

I'm sure he was quite something in his performances with Ponselle.

Bob