Subject: Re: Live stream (video) ANDREA CHENIER 3-18 at 2 pm EDT (7 pm CET)
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 19 Mar 2017 12:41:39 -0400

Hi Vesna

Well, judging from other comments, mine was clearly not a majority
opinion. I really had a hard time sticking with it as long as I did.

There are great things in TELL - and most of those "things" are on a
recording
made for EMI a half century ago, all of 46 and a half minutes.

I am very fond of the Martinelli, Journet scenes from the pre electric
period, and I have enjoyed Cerquetti's way with " Sombre foret" aka
"Selva Opaca". It is a beautiful aria and there are several lovely
recordings, to be fair. But, that's about it.

Except for the Overture - which is about as great as overtures ever got,
and a few other orchestral moments that have real structure and
memorable tunes.

It has its moments!

Bob