Subject: Re: Live stream (video) ANDREA CHENIER 3-18 at 2 pm EDT (7 pm CET)
From: Vesna Danilovic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 19 Mar 2017 11:19:05 -0500

Admittedly not quite "perfect" (well, let's have some allowance for the
immediacy of enthusiastic reaction! :-)), but nearly so given that nowadays
there is such a short supply of great Andreas, great Maddalenas, and great
Gerards as were indeed those of the past you mentioned in your earlier
post. I already saw Kaufmann's Chenier in the London production and was
glad to see that there was not a trace of vocal crisis as his recent
cancellations might have led us to suspect, but Anja Harteros' Maddalena
and Salsi's Gerard were equally fabulous. There was not a fault even in the
secondary/comprimario roles and there are quite a few in this glorious
opera.

To add a few more thoughts: to me, the production really worked and strikes
me more as conventional than not. There were a few moments when the stage
looked a bit too busy --and, concurring with you, probably bothering those
in theatre more than the rest of us watching it on screen-- but the concept
was interesting and I think tapped well into different facets of the story
and the French Revolution itself. If I were to nitpick, then the Joker-type
character would have worked better had he not have such a strong and
distracting resemblance to the Batman-movie character and the torture scene
with Kaufmann while Salsi was (superbly!) delivering "Nemico della patria"
was utterly untimely and distracting, IMO (my objection here is only about
its ill-conceived timing).

I don't know if it will have the same effect in audio as it had on the
webcast yesterday, but to answer Donald S's rebroadcast query, yesterday
Elizabeth Michael posted that there will be one today.

It's a great opera and I very much hope this long-awaited Munich premiere
gets on DVD!

Sorry to hear from Bob that the Met's TELL broadcast was not as enjoyable
as was the Munich CHENIER to us.

Best, Vesna