Subject: Re: Bryan Himmel
From: Sue Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 19 Mar 2017 00:36:41 +0000

Agree with Myriam here. I heard Hymel as Edgardo in Lucia live at The Dallas Opera and in simulcast from the Met's Troyens. He had a triumph in Troyens, and I still didnt enjoy his voice. Hymel sang Rodolfo in Boheme in Dallas, including a simulcast to be seen by thousands in the AT&T Stadium where the Cowboys play. Luckily for me he was "indisposed" on Wednesday, no doubt saving himself for the big Saturday night. In his stead my audience in the Winspear Opera House heard Rodolfo sung by Dmitri Pittas who was flown in from NYC and the Met at the last minute. I loved it. Pittas has a beautiful voice and Rodolfo sounded wonderful. Being new to the cast and production, he didn't have the blocking or the rehearsed comaraderie with his fellow Bohemians, but that was a small price to pay for the wonderful way he sang. In the stadium on Saturday night and on a sound system that couldn't deliver the sound of the opera house, Hymel's performance looked almost cartoonish, and his voice sounded effortful.

He is headed for heldentenor territory, and the sooner the better.
Sue HarrisonDallas, TX