Subject: Re: Bryan Himmel
From: John Irving <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 18 Mar 2017 18:13:34 -0500

Since I had never heard a lived staged performance of this work, I actually enjoyed it.  Hymel's voice is not to my personal liking, but he certainly understands the music and sang it quite well.  In one of the prerecorded interview sessions this afternoon with Hymel, he relishes the challenges of the heroic French tenor literature; he is indeed, a rare bird.  I remember reading somewhere that Corelli was considering adding Arnold to his repertory, and that rehearsal tapes exist of his efforts.  I do not recall him ever venturing into Rossini, but I could be wrong about this.  Cheers.

      John

Sent from my iPad