Subject: Re: Leontyne Price - Fanciulla del West
From: Peter Hammond <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 15 Mar 2017 11:57:54 -0400

I've been reading this board for ages and have only rarely dipped my toe in to comment. I do so now because two of my great loves, Leontyne Price and La Fanciulla del West, are under discussion. I've never understood the Price/Fanciulla thing because to me she seems vocally so well suited to the role. It must have been an unfortunate accident of timing that she had a vocal mini-crisis right when she undertook the role. Or maybe someone on the board who is wiser than I am in these matters can explain why the role was a mismatch for her.

A recording of Price in Fanciulla during the Met run would send me off to Valhalla a happy man, but I know no such recording exists, any more than a recording of the Callas/Björling Trovatore in Chicago exists.

All the talk about Price and her latter-day swooping and whooping is fair game. We who love great singing are entitled to analyze it. But one thing about Price that should not be overlooked, and that other recent commenters have alluded to, is that she was no ordinary singer. At her best she epitomized great singing. Moreover, she was and is loved and admired more than almost any other singer I can think of. I remember a recital she did in Los Angeles in the early 1980s where she was about to begin a number, an encore probably but I'm not sure anymore, when the silence was broken by someone in the audience (not me!) saying, "We love you." She was taken aback for just a brief moment but did not break her pose, and then put her hand over her heart and said, "And I love you." It was corny as hell but at the same time deeply moving.