Subject: Re: Bryan Himmel
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 18 Mar 2017 18:35:11 -0400

OK, Bob, you wanted some incoming...here are some low-yield lobs:

I agree that Guillaume Tell is no masterpiece.  But it contains much fine music and is well
worth the occasional revival, when it can be cast well, as it was by the Met this season.  If our
listening were confined to "masterpieces," how dull and lacking variety our musical life would
be!

Mathilde's music is fine, much of it quite beautiful (and I like the coloratura flourishes, sort of
Rossini's last fling in the old style); the problem is that the character herself is such a cipher.
Tell and Arnold are much more vividly drawn.

IMO Hymel's forte is in the French spinto/dramatic tenor repertoire, of which there is much
fine and effective music and which is so difficult to sing.  And he can make a real name for
himself (already has) focusing on that rep.  I agree that his voice is not well-suited for much
of the more conventional Italian and French repertoire - although I would like to hear him as
Manrico and Stiffelio.

Max