Subject: Re: Bryan Himmel
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 18 Mar 2017 17:49:51 -0400

I listened to most of it and wondered what many people
hear that makes them think it a masterpiece. A lot of noise
about very little! Especially that Mathilde person. What are
those Fiakermilli (sp) imitations all about? Pretentious
nonsense! Her aria ("Selva opaca" in Italian) is lovely, and it
was well sung.. The rest is no better than metronome
exercises, suited to a Rosina singing lesson. I couldn't bear
it.

Fire away!

Hymel is accurate enough, I guess, but this was a far cry from
his Enee a few years ago. "Inutiles regrets" received one of the
longest ovations I have ever heard. It was stupendous. What I
heard today was not a shadow of his performancein in the Berliioz,
just a few yeas ago.

I was heartened by the tepid, verging on indifferent, applause, most
all afternoon, and I sensed that it was not only about the singing,
which wasn't great, but mostly about the music. There are very
good reasons why operas are produced once in a generation, and,
no, it's not just because they are hard to cast. They are hours of filler
with a few highlights!

Vesna, you made the right choice! ;-)

Bob