Subject: Re: Live stream (video) ANDREA CHENIER 3-18 at 2 pm EDT (7 pm CET)
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 18 Mar 2017 17:20:11 -0400

"As good as it gets"?   That may be true if you're too young to have heard
Milanov, or Corelli, or Colzani . . .as recently as 1999, Diana Soviero and
Lando Bartolini, in Newark were as good as it got then.

I still don't get the baritonal  quality that so many complain of with
Kaufmann;  he's a tenor with a vibrant lower range and I love it.  Somebody
said he had a problem with the "ora soave"  I thought it was beautiful
today.
And where was all the screaming that someone heard in that first audio
only transmission?

I must congratulate Munich for demonstrating how well a traditional curtain
complements even as unconventional a staging as this one is.  However, the
comic strip like vignettes are so distracting and counter productive in the
first
half that it was a relief to see a full stage come in to place for
Giordano's
Third and Fourth acts.  Yet another case of designing for HD, I suppose,
because if I were in the actual audience for this performance, I would feel
like booing the director.  I hated the vignettes in the Met's new TRISTAN,
and I hate them in this.  Wonderful costuming though, evoking the period
precisely.

dtmk