Subject: Re: TAKE ACTION - CALL CONGRESS - US arts and sciences funding
From: E J Michel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 18 Mar 2017 12:51:29 -0400

I beg to differ, Max.  Calling Congress DOES WORK.  If NO ONE calls, your
rep has NO REASON to go to bat for a cause or a budget item.

I worked in DC for years in the Arts and calling your Congressman during
the budget process DEFINITELY makes a difference.

REMEMBER THEY WORK FOR US.  They WILL listen if they get hundreds and
thousands of calls. They want to get re-elected..so they will listen.

In fact, its the best tool that they can use to back up their support for
an organization that is threatened - there are tons of facts and that helps
(arts affecting tourism producing $ for local communities etc) but its OUR
SUPPORT of these institutions that will make the difference.

You may not realize that EVERY SINGLE YEAR these organizations have to do
the same dance and beg to be kept alive.  Its been that way since after the
first budget that created them.  Every single year - there are
organizations that represent various disciplines - American Association of
Museums, Opera America, American Symphony Orchestra League, and National
Assembly of State Arts Agencies (where I worked) - and they gather
resources and call on their board members to call and beg their Congressmen
to FIGHT FOR THE LIFE OF THE NEA/NEH and CPB

THIS is the FIRST time EVER that there has been a TOTAL elimination
proposed AND with the House and Senate controlled by the Republicans - who
have TRADITIONALLY not supported these organizations.

It is VERY SCARY - and NOT A DEFINITE fact that these institutions will
survive.

As we have seen with the manner of this President and his staff and the
obvious disconnect between the WH and Congressional leaders... we are in
uncharted territory .. .. NOTHING can be taken for granted anymore.

Best regards,
Elizabeth

E J Michel