Subject: Re: US arts and sciences funding
From: E J Michel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 18 Mar 2017 12:37:05 -0400

Sobering facts

if you care about continuing to hear opera and classical music on the radio
(Corporation for Public Broadcasting) or attending opera and
symphony/chamber music concerts anywhere in the country (NEA / NEH grants)
than you should read this.

Once the NEA and NEH are gone, EVERY LOCAL AND STATE GOVERNMENT will say -
oh so its not important enough to fund at the federal level, so fine WE
WONT DO IT EITHER.   Its not about saving the NEA/NEH/CPB, its about saving
the future of ARTS in America.

Per capita funding for Arts

Germany 19.81

England 13.54

Canada 5.19

US .47 cents

National Endowment for the  Arts = $148m

National Endowment for the Humanities  = $148m

Corporation for Public Broadcasting = $445m

Institute of Museum and Library Services = $230m

Read this article for the impact of these organizations on Arts in America

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/with-elimination-of-nea-and-neh-trumps-budget-is-worst-case-scenario-for-arts-groups/2017/03/15/5291645a-09bb-11e7-a15f-a58d4a988474_story.html?utm_term=.7b47e22918dc

Then look at this...

Trump Family travel and security costs in first 2 months  =>  Obama and
Biden total for EIGHT years ($97m total or ~12m per year)

Camp David sits empty. Its a helicopter ride away from the White House.
Its easier to protect as it is not in the middle of a large city nor
requires AIR FORCE One and the huge contingent of security and staff to
travel and overtime from local police.  But DJT doesnt want to use it,
instead visits Mar-a-Lago at estimate of $4m per visit.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/mar/04/donald-
trump-travel-costs-mar-a-lago-taxpayers

(The Guardian) Estimated at 4 million per visit, Trump and his family, in
their security and travel demands, have already rung up as much in accounts
payable by taxpayers as the Obama and Biden families did in eight years, a
figure elsewhere calculated, by the Washington DC-based Judicial Watch, as
topping $97m.
How is it possible?

The complicated receipt involves
- weekend trips by Trump to Mar-a-Lago, his resort in Palm Beach, Florida;
- travel by his children and their government security details on Trump
family business;
- costs associated with protecting Trump’s Manhattan home, the high-rise
Trump Tower building, where Trump’s wife and youngest child live but where
the real estate mogul himself has not set foot since becoming president.

Cost to Secure NY Apartment at Trump tower - $500,000 per day ($183m annual)
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/feb/20/trump-
family-security-new-york-palm-beach-taxes
Schumer, the Senate Democratic leader, inserted himself into the debate on
Sunday, saying it costs $500,000 per day for nearly 200 police officers to
protect Trump Tower on Fifth Avenue in Manhattan, which houses the Trump
family business headquarters and serves as the home of the first lady,
Melania Trump, and the couple’s son, Barron. The senator estimated the cost
could rise to as much as $183m annually.

Best regards,
Elizabeth

E J Michel