Subject: Re: Leontyne Price - Fanciulla del West
From: Dennis Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 16 Mar 2017 18:41:55 -0400

Hi, Y'all!
    I attended the Saturday afternoon broadcast in  which Amara went on for
Arroyo in "Forza" in the house.  Amara gave  the performance of her career
that afternoon--far better than Arroyo, whom I had  heard earlier in the
same run.  Nor is her work on the "Lohengrin"  recording shoddy goods, either.
She was a great singer, underestimated  because she allowed herself to be a
perpetual cover.  We hear so much about  her "mismanaged" career, but I
look at it this way:  she got  exactly what she wanted:  steady New York based
work at the Met  for her entire career.  Had she truly wanted something
different, I think  she was fully capable of handling her career differently.
    I first heard Amara in a recital she gave in  Fairbanks, Alaska, in the
early 1950's, when I was still in high school.   She gave an hour-long
recital to a high school assembly the following day.   Several of us had heard
her "Pace, pace" the evening before.  We researched  the aria, scrounged
around for a couple of 78 rpm recordings, and urged her to  sing it at her
school performance.  I think she thought that we didn't  actually know what we
were doing and that we were making fun of her by  loudly requesting that aria
and loudly applauding her singing.  I have  since visited Amara backstage
after one of her performances and  assured her that we were "for real."  I
treasure a copy of her CD that she  personally autographed to me, with the
phrase "Remembering Fairbanks."
    I cite this experience because I believe that it  teaches a fundamental
lesson.  The music people love and remember for a  lifetime is not the
music they are taught in classrooms.  It is the music  that they discover for
themselves.  We need less emphasis on "teaching"  opera to kids.  Instead, we
need to concentrate on putting it where they  are sure to stumble over it
and find it on their own.
    Best,
    Dennis Ryan

In a message dated 3/16/2017 10:05:59 A.M. Central Daylight Time,