Subject: Re: Romeo et Juliette
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 16 Mar 2017 17:30:04 -0400

Hearing that Chenier broadcast from Munich last weekend, done with one intermission, it
was rather uncomfortable hearing the awkward smattering of applause after Acts I and III
(as written) - clearly no one seemed to know whether to applaud or not. Of course, this
may also be the director's fault for not giving the audience a clear cue (such as a blackout
or other button that invites applause automatically). The problem is that the music and
drama - especially after Act III - really does invite applause. It's sad not to hear it.