Subject: Re: Romeo et Juliette
From: Mike Leone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 16 Mar 2017 16:03:00 +0000

Hello all--
I enjoyed hearing Costello on the Roméo et Juliette broadcast last night and am looking forward to seeing him in person in the role on Saturday afternoon.  I was especially happy to hear him take the high note (I don't have time right now to look it up on imslp to be able to name it) at the end of Act III, although I wish the Met were taking the intermission there, where it naturally falls and where Gounod put it.  If I remember correctly, Grigolo did not take it.  Please feel free to correct me if I am mistaken (as if I needed to ask).
Once upon a time, I didn't much care for Roméo et Juliette.  Hearing the legendary Met broadcast with Sayao and Bjoerling is what started changing my mind about the opera.
Anyway, I'm heading up to NYC tomorrow for a weekend opera orgy to include Idomeneo, Roméo, the Met finalists (thrilled that we're going to get both "O luce di quest'anima" and Rienzis Gebet, two of my favorites), and Fidelio.  I'm also looking forward to reading the NYDN's always-wonderful articles about 45.
Mike