Subject: Re: Leontyne Price - Fanciulla del West
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 16 Mar 2017 11:05:58 -0400

Mike Leone wrote:

"I'm sorry that Mme. Price dropped out of [the RCA Lohengrin], but I really
enjoy the woman [Amara] who stepped in for her."

Amara was no shabby substitute.  I heard her sing the Forza Leonora in
1975 and Price sing the same opera in 1977.  Amara sang it better than
Price did, hand's down, and she was more convincing dramatically,
although Price's voice at its best certainly had more glamour (for want of a
better word) and a more distinctive timbre.

"Dare you say" Amara?  Yes!! Anyone should.  She was a great singer,
much underrated in her time (as the great Florence Easton was in hers).

MDW