Subject: Re: Leontyne Price - Another perspective
From: Sergio da Silva <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 16 Mar 2017 09:47:30 -0400

	Right on, not all but a lot of singers acquire mannerism as they age, Sutherland’s diction come to mind and yes it is maddening. You did mention Price sounded fine on the Karajan Trovatore studio recording (w/Bonisiolli) and we have to thank Karajan for that, the very first day she started singing on the recording, Karajan stopped her and then coached her back into shape. So I guess what happened is she did not get push back from conductors after a while, so she kept doing the bad things she did.
	I think Callas is a good case where “vocalism” remained intact but the voice deteriorated. Just listen to the recording tapes of Verdi arias, her vocalism is astounding, she sings most early Verdi which is fiendishly difficult with such mastery that the orchestra spontaneously applaud her even though the voice had a lot of problems.
	Price had no wobble as she aged too, to me the large, uncontrolled vibrato is a major factor in shortening a singer’s career, I usually can’t stand it no matter whatever other qualities a singer has to offer.
	The other thing about Price is she was not much of an interpreter/actress, her characterizations were mostly exaggerated but the voice was indeed a marvel!
	Take care,
Modify your settings: