Subject: Romeo et Juliette
From: Idia Legray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 16 Mar 2017 08:23:21 -0400

Last evening I was treated to "the other cast" of R & J.
In the past I had not been a particular fan of Stephen Costello but I now
have to take back my words after seeing (and hearing) him in Santa Fe this
past summer with his ex-wife doing  R & J in which he easily outdid her
and was a true surprise to me.
The other pleasant surprise was last evening.  His Romeo, once again, was
absolutely wonderful. He hit it out of the ballpark on all counts.  His voice
has a particular affinity for the French language I think and his "Ah! levee
toi" was spot on.  His high notes were secure and held long.  Bravo
Stephen!
This was my first time hearing Pretty Yende and I was looking forward to
it.  She has a lovely soprano voice but I detected a slight "edge" (for lack
of a better word) to it.  It didn't stop me from enjoying her performance
but I found her voice for Juliette to be a bit stronger than I picture the
character to be.
The music of Gounod is mesmerizing to me.  The more I hear this opera
the more it gets inside my soul.